Heal Yourself and Move: Portrait of a Dead Girl

This week’s Heal Yourself And Move—a biweekly column about dance and electronic music, written by Maryland’s finest, Andrew Field Pickering—gives us a rundown on Dutch master, I-F. Not to blow up spots, but Andrew dropped his reasoning for this week’s column on email: “I did this joint on I-F cuz copies of “Portrait of a Dead Girl” started showing up on clone again. UUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH.” We’re believers. Check the column after the jump.

The sickest electro 12-inch of all time has been re-released. Or, at least, new copies are available for a scoop online. Released in 1995 (14 years ago? Really??) “Portrait of a Dead Girl Part 1: The Cause” by the almighty I-F snarled its way into my consciousness via the absolutely perfect “I Do Because I Couldn’t Care Less.” Originally released on I-F’s own Viewlexx Records (and via Disko B a year later, sans two songs), the track is pure nastiness. When that snare hits, its like getting slapped by a building. As I was just checking up on some facts via discogs.com I came upon this description of the record: “The real Hague brainfucking sound.” O yea.

I-F murdered this one completely, and “…Couldn’t Care Less” is not even the biggest brain-fuck on the 12. “Superman” is way more punk than most punk—its the finest bit of vitriol that electro has ever produced, sneaking up in the mid-’90s to make a sarcastic, condescending hellhole out of the category in which most people put Shannon, Connie and Vanity 6. The freaks know, though. This is that ill Dutch electro. I can’t make out all of the lyrics, but the vibe comes across diamond cut in the ones I can:
You’re sooo intelligent, yeeeeaa you’re such a superman, and nothing is what you get/ Yea you know quite a bit, but you’re annoying me with all that shit/ So cuz you’re quite the same, make me happy and blow out your brain.

A live version of “Superman” featuring Alden Tyrell on keyboards and DJ Overdose (both of the excellent Hasbeens) on scratching duties.

In a (compuuuuuter) world that sometimes floods stores and DJ crates with anonymous tracks, white labels and records (at times blissfully) free of politics or opinions, I-F comes across in interviews and track titles alike as a man who is thuggishly idealist in the best way. He might be Robin Hood for techno/electro’s vibe. His track “Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass” was on MTV when it came out, but he used to count down 100 records by himself in a studio every year for the legendary (at least to me and a dedicated fanbase) CBS Top 100. The CBS (Cybernetic Broadcasting System) was an especially awesome place online to discover music, it is now equally represented in the amazing Intergalactic FM, with four different streams of killer tunes running all day. The site’s playlists are a thing to behold, as is the scope and depth of I-F’s other releases and edits. A deep love for italo, house, bass, disco and other out-there electronic musics is reflected in some of his lower-profile releases, like this edit of Walter Jones’ “Deuteronomy Brown,” which smashes the party every time Ari G from Swimmers brings his copy out.

or this track, as Beverly Hills 808303:

There’s a quote in the YouTube info for “Superman” that puts it best: “When I-F gets into some gangster shit, know that he’s doing it for you, the curious listeners of the world.”

POSTED January 22, 2010 3:41PM IN Comments (13) TAGS: ,

COMMENTS

1. zurkonic says:

Damnnnnnnnnnn, ‘I Do Because I Couldn’t Care Less’ makes me want to eat viruses and blow up ghosts. Thanks for tipping me to some I-f I was too young to appreciate (I know it had to get better than ‘Space Invaders’:) He really captures a simple ferocity with his minimalism that the brain-dance (HA!) of Drexciya or Aphex can’t quite match

2. balls says:

I was healed at this site :D

3. Hotdog says:

Darn.. u cant eat viruses. U can only if the person u are eating is infected with that organism.

4. boom says:

Nice track!

5. rose says:

I will buy it!

6. will says:

Great Album!

7. queen says:

exactly what i was looking for!

8. Hotdog says:

Im gonna buy this shit

9. Hotdog says:

Dam it.. COol and fucking fun.. YEah!

10. Gin POM says:

Yo! Party Pips! Cool and very interesting..

11. There is obviously sooo much more to research about this. I think you made some o.k points in Features also. Keep working, fantasitc job! beverly hills carpet cleaning

12. martha says:

This will be a dream for me!

13. accipsy says:

Honolulu is a beautiful city of United State of America and honolulu harbor of Hawaii. Honolulu is often known as Census Designated Place (CDP) and one of several populous places in USA. The population of this city is about 365, 272 and it’s also situated in the south eastern coast of Oahu island. Both the country and the city are co-extensive as both the administration is handled by same council and mayor. The city has the air connections considering the major countries like New Zealand, Australia, Asia, and USA. Honolulu is known as the principal port and the economic center of Hawaiian Islands. The majority of people who love to spend their family vacation on beaches can visit Honolulu because this city is popular for its beautiful beaches. The majority from other places are Moving to Hawaii because surviving in such type of city is easier in comparison with other metros.

Apart from this the city also possess many other things to offer you like it has become the perfect place to reside, the weather condition of this city is excellent compared to other places found on earth, ocean vistas, tropical breezes, spectacular views etc. For all these features the majority of people nowadays are Moving to Hawaii for the purpose of residing. There are numerous other things you could enjoy in this city like you can like surfing on the North Shore of Oahu island or else you can also lounge on the beautiful beaches of Waikiki. Here get ready to enjoy your life as being a king and the experiences of these beaches will be memorable for you.

If you would like to move in that beautiful city or if you’re goning for a vacation at Hawaii then no need to get worry because everything will be carried out by movers in Hawaii. There are lots of movers out there in Honolulu who are experts in relocating families from any place to Hawaii islands. They offer quality service to their valuable customers to every island of Hawaii with the services of their professionals. They help to move all your household items of a family and they try to provide service beyond their capability so your shipping is completed in given time period to your destination.

There are lots of movers available in Hawaii but you should only select some quality service provider. You can find movers available in Hawaii who claims to offer quality service in much reasonable price but in fact they don’t. There are some movers who claim to offer service in much lower price but when they pick your materials for moving they increase their rates this type of movers are called as Rouge Movers, so be cautious while selecting a mover in Hawaii and do your home work while Moving to Honolulu.