By The Numbers: Nirvana’s Nevermind

nirvanamain

In By The Numbers, FADER looks at a big record release and breaks it down in basic digits and primary colors. This week, we look at Nirvana’s seminal Nevermind, which is being re-released today as a mega deluxe 20th Anniversary edition by Geffen.

POSTED September 27, 2011 11:12AM IN BY THE NUMBERS, MUSIC NEWS Comments (11) TAGS: , ,

COMMENTS

1. Cam Lindsay says:

You’ve got the ages of Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic mixed up.

2. tom says:

there was no collage on the back of nevermind. you’re thinking of in utero.

3. tankboy says:

Nevermind didn’t have a back cover collage. That was In Utero. Whoops!

4. Naomi Zeichner says:

Actually, it does! Both albums have collages. Nevermind features a PHOTO of a monkey walking in front of a collage. See: http://bit.ly/opF0ru

5. tankboy says:

Naomi, I’m still not seeing any of the stuff the infographic says is in the college, but I guess I’ll wait until I get home to more closely inspect my own album.

However that doesn’t address Cam’s observation the ages are wrong … so tell Andy to stop yelling on Twitter until y’all fix at least that!

6. andy says:

tank boy, i’m not yelling at anyone, you are the one that seems to be so absolutely annoyed by something you are so absolutely incorrect about. the other guy was correct and caught our mistake, of which i’m sure you have never made. thanks for reading.

7. Pingback: Sharing some link love

8. sodmgofwgkta says:

“The other guy was correct and caught our mistake, of which I’m sure you have never made.” — Can anybody else spot the irony in this pretentious and insecure comment made by Andy?

9. Cam says:

Not to be a pest again, but I’m anal about spelling. Twitter was spelled wrong after “Nirvana’s…” Sorry…

10. Naomi Zeichner says:

@Chicagoist dudes! Settling the back cover debate, once and for all. Michael Meisel, former Nirvana producer sent us this confirmation from Robert Fisher, Art Director on the original Nevermind release:

Yes the back pic on Nevermind was a Kurt collage.
    With the monkey up front as well as stuff listed below
    I remember him telling me there was raw meat and Kiss action figures too.

11. Loving this. are those dates correct?

if your in the UK and into Nirvana you should check out my Nirvana tribute Band touring January 2012 to celebrate 20 years of Nevermind