In our GEN F profile of Planningtorock, back in 2011, the Berlin-based solo project’s Jam Rostron said, “Some music feels almost like a one-night stand. You love it instantly, then you never listen to it again. I’m definitely one for the long, long relationship.” Fans of Planningtorock’s album at the time, W, will be pleased to see she’s in for the long haul, still firing at all cylinders, with increasing emphasis on both gender politics (“Patriarchy Over & Out,” “Let’s Talk About Gender Baby” and “Beyond Binary Binds” are just a few new tracks) and dancing. All Love’s Legal comes out February 18th, and it’s up for preorder now. Download the FADER mix, with a colossal tracklist including The Knife, Glasser, Light Asylum, Fatima al Qadiri and Molly Nilsson.
Download: Planningtorock’s FADER Mix
Describe where you are right now. What’s around you? I’m currently rehearsing in my studio for the All Love’s Legal tour with Hermione aka rRoxymore, who plays in my live show. I’m surrounded by gear, cables, potential set lists hanging from every wall… tea cups, half-eaten chocolate bars and music music music.
What’s this mix like? Did you think of anything in particular with the song selection? The mix features tracks that i’m listening to right now and love a lot… it’s perhaps an eclectic selection but I wanted to cram as many songs in as possible.
What was something you read last year that you identified with, or were affected by? Do The Right Thing is a feminist hand book created by MFK (Malmo free university for women) in Sweden and deals in Radical Pedagogy—it introduced me to the concept/term “intersectionality,” which is the name that is now given to the complex of reciprocal attachments and sometimes polarizing conflicts that confront both individuals and movements as they seek to “navigate” among the raced, gendered, and class-based dimensions of social and political life.
What do you like to cook and how do you make it? Oh blimey, I can’t cook to save me life seriously but i’m an excellent eater : )
(Ed. note: Planningtorock deliberately numbered each track as #1 so there is no hierarchy among them)
1. rROXYMORE – LONELY RITOURNELLE XIII
1. JAMES K – DIRECTION
1. PLANNINGTOROCK – ALL LOVE’S LEGAL – MOKADEM REMIX
1. GLASSER – WINDOW ii
1. THE KNIFE – TOOTH FOR AN EYE – COOLY G REMIX
1. MEDUSA – NEHEB N3CH HAYATI
1. HYPERAKTIVIST – REMINISCENCE
1. PURSUIT GROOVES – DEAREST NATURE
1. PLANNINGTOROCK – MISOGYNY DROP DEAD – HOLLY HERNDON REMIX
1. VUVUVULTURE – DEAF EPIC – CREEP REMIX
1. LIGHT ASYLUM – FATIMA AL QUADRIRI REMIX
1. PLANNINGTOROCK – HUMAN DRAMA – PERERA ELSEWHERE REMIX
1. KAREN GWYER – FREE FOOD_ONE MEN STRIPER
1. MOLLY NILSSON – ATLANTIC TALES
1. ANIKA – BLOODHOUND – DUB
1. TIRZAH – SLOW JAM
1. FATIMA AL QADIRI – HYDRA
1. PLANNINGTOROCK – BEYOND BINARY BINDS
1. PAULA TEMPLE – CLONED
1. LISA DILLAN – SITTING BULL – PIECE FOR CHAIR, FLOOR & VOICE
1. HOUWAIDA FEAT. CHIHEB – JANNA