Drake notoriously wears his heart on his sleeve, but there are few things he's made as patently clear as his love for Toronto. He's got the city's primary area code tattooed on his body, earned it a new, widely adopted nickname in "the 6," and even palled around with former mayor Rob Ford. Why, then, has he not been awarded the Key to the City? Though a widely circulated petition to correct that wrong seems to have stalled, we've heard that the issue will likely be on the docket for Toronto's next City Council meeting. And it's about time! Municipal governments across the U.S. have not been shy to celebrate the rappers among them; these historical six awards prove Drake deserves that same honor.
1. In a controversial move last fall, Jackson, Mississipi awarded T.I. the Key to the City
2. Despite being a New Yorker through-and-through, Diddy has unlocked at least three cities—Miami Beach, Chicago, and Las Vegas
3. Three 6 Mafia put on for Memphis, and the city gave them the Key in 2012
4. Lil' Kim got the Key to Miami more than 10 years ago
5. Atlanta gave Ludacris the same honor in 2004
6. And proud Detroiter Big Sean received the Key to his city in 2011
Lead image: Jag Gundu / Getty Images