Kanye Steals All of the Rights

kanye_noe

Looks like Rihanna is inadvertently implicated in yet another proprietary infringement. Kanye‘s new video “All of the Lights”—in which RiRi nearly bares both of her headlights—also bears a striking resemblance to the opening title sequence in Gaspar Noé’s new film Enter the Void. An obvious nod to Godard, Noé’s opening credits (designed by Tom Kan and Thorsten Fleisch) are a neon-flashing, epilepsy-inducing stream of fonts befitting the bad-boy auteur’s seedier tastes. But to say director Hype Williams is “nodding” to Noe would be generous—the verdict on twitter finds Williams and Kanye guilty as charged. See “All of the Lights” video and tweets after the jump.

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

Kanye offered this in his own defense:
kanyegasparnoe

POSTED February 21, 2011 4:00PM IN MUSIC NEWS, MUSIC VIDEO Comments (13) TAGS: ,

COMMENTS

1. The real GASPAR says:

All of the void / enter the lights

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Kanye Steals All of the Rights « The FADER -- Topsy.com

3. Brandon says:

I’d say Thomas Bangalter being listed in Enter the Void probably had something to do w/ Kanye’s “homage” to it

4. Fuckrey. How do you sleep at night !?

5. Adriana says:

Uf! pensé que nadie iba a decir nada al respecto, no se dejen engañar Kanye West se ha estado comportando como un pendejo.

6. Molly says:

Why is Amber Bravo trying Kanye in the court of public opinion?
    Kanye’s video is a DEFINITE nod to Noe’s title treatment but shouldn’t the title designers be the ones to decide if Kanye’s video is too similar? (Wouldn’t the director/art director/creative direction-whatever the title is for the art concept in the music video, be the one ‘biting’ Noe’s designers work and not Kanye?)

I think the music video is different enough, that the two forms can coexist in harmony. Besides watching the movie montage made me seasick and feel old, at least with the music video I can see the words and appreciate the creativity of the colors etc. The film intro made me feel overloaded and disappointed because as a visually creative person, I wanted to SEE more of the transitions and more of what was taking place. :(

I can’t believe people are taking a few comments on twitter as word bond. Geeze.

We’ll just wait and see if somebody gets sued for infringement…until then, butt out?

7. Ric* says:

oh shut up, he was inspired by the technique used in a film and put it in a music video and what.
    people, go to sleep..

8. Ric I agree it was just inspiration. Nothing is fully created or imagined on its own. There is always an experience, a small glimpse, or and unconcious occurance that sparks creativity. Leave ye alone… one thing that is werird is now “All of the Lights” video has been removed from all sites even Kayne’s blog…

Nice article Amber. Check out my response at delux magazine.

9. Ric I agree it was just inspiration. Nothing is fully created or imagined on its own. There is always an experience, a small glimpse, or and unconcious occurance that sparks creativity. Leave ye alone… one thing that is werird is now “All of the Lights” video has been removed from all sites even Kayne’s blog…

Nice article Amber. Check out my response at delux magazine.

Read more: http://www.thefader.com/2011/02/21/kanye-steals-all-of-the-rights/#ixzz1Er8R8kP4

10. INTERNET DOG says:

Since when did “inspiration” become copying something exactly?

11. Pingback: against appropriation. « the bellewether state