Diplowatch 2011 #9: Diplo is Not Friends With MIA Anymore, Has a Kid Named Locket

diplo_mia

Jessica Iredale wrote about Diplo in yesterday’s WWD. She describes him as an aspirational dude who’s newly into fashion and glad to fly business instead of coach. Before breaking the news that Diplo has a girlfriend and a seven month old baby named Locket, Iredale lays out the current status of Diplo’s relationship to M.I.A. Seven years after their jointly produced Piracy Funds Terrorism and three years post “Paper Planes,” they aren’t friends anymore, or in contact at all. “No one in my camp talks to her anymore. She’s kind of really gone crazy,” says Diplo. He says “Paper Planes” made her famous, but that before it’s release she, “had already thrown in the towel when that record came out. Before that, she was like, ‘I’m retiring. I’m going to marry this guy, fuck it.’ Then ‘Paper Planes’ blew up and she was like, ‘Oh shit. I gotta take advantage of this.”

He expresses frustration with M.I.A.’s very public, imperfect politics. “Maya left herself open for attacks. She’s not an easy artist to criticize because she’s very left-leaning, she’s progressive, she’s a woman. She’s good in a lot of aspects, but when it comes to die-hard, facts-on-the-ground politics, she’s at zero. She’s nothing. I told her at the beginning of the third record, like, do not bring politics into this. Obama’s the president, for one. You just can’t glamorize terrorism, it’s not cool… You can’t hide behind that shit. But she totally did. She didn’t have a plan B. I told her from the beginning, it’s not going to work.”

Diplo’s opinion is familiar and not unpopular. M.I.A.’s latest full-length /\/\/\Y/\ was widely ridiculed, most notably by Lynne Hirschberg, who pieced together a vicious, circumspect profile for the New York Times after a 2010 interview, painting Maya as a scheming, beautiful faux-radical fool. Her latest release, the half-hour long ViCKi LEEKX mixtape, is an opaque mind-garden about the internet, security, truth, lies and trust. It has a lot of jams but not a mature ideology.

It’s too bad that turns Diplo off. When Kim Taylor Bennett interviewed him for FADER #68′s M.I.A. feature he seemed ultimately loyal to Maya. “No matter how much we fight, we make music really easy. There’s still a chemistry that I’ll probably have with her until I die.” We still believe in that potential-for-magic, but it’ll be no easy-business. In the same piece, Maya admitted she’s reactionary. “I put in probably ten times more effort just to be difficult. I want a disgusting piece of work on the table because people should look at it and be like, “Why would you go there?” Diplo’s in the money and done asking, for now.

POSTED May 13, 2011 7:00PM IN MUSIC NEWS Comments (17) TAGS: , , , ,

COMMENTS

1. TONY G says:

both of them fell off, i still like their music though

2. Alice says:

the idea that her being a woman makes it more difficult to criticize her is such a ludicrous, male-privileged thing to say. If anyone’s the fool here, it’s not M.I.A. she’s too good for him anyway.

3. Omar says:

Didn’t find anything glamorous abt the Born Free vid, kinda sickening if he did. Who is he btw? Is he in an ad for something?

4. Locket says:

Well it’s kinda cool alot of people understand her “politics” and I’ve yet to see how those media slags who criticize actually argue with substance. “She’s gone really crazy and got married?” LOL

5. roga says:

diplos the one who sold out. mia stood her ground in the face of people who want to bash her just for supporting the tamil people in the face of the genocide perpetuated against them by the british-backed Sri Lankan govt., and then her support of the palestinians, well, you know what happens and who gets pissed off when you do that, and you know why….sure she made some choices for her protection but diplos just a white guy who now sells phones for the status quo.

6. Darius says:

He does know that Paper Planes was well received by MANY before it was boasted with the success of it being apart of Pineapple Express, right?! I think she threw in the towel because she’d released 4 videos and quite frankly, the album had pretty much ran its course by the time “Paper Planes” had even blown up (please correct me if I’m wrong.) I remember PLAYING THAT SONG OOUUTTT!!! and then years later, it finally caught onto radio/the public. She had every right to jump on the success of something she had created. Isn’t that what he’s all about anyways?! About as faux as her political antics, the same can be said about his “underground dj profile” and his thieving ways. I like some of his work but people like him need to take a look and realize that the success of people like MIA have pretty much made him a go to kind of guy. Outside of MIA and a few 1,2,3 sample here remixes that he’s made, he really isn’t about shit.

7. HD_SWagger says:

I really liked MIA’s last album. Anyway they should patch things up and make some more music together. Honestly most of these famous musicians act like spoiled children.

8. Harry says:

What the fuck is this guy even talking about? Glamorizing terrorism?

9. Suede Jury says:

@Alice

It says:

“She’s not an easy artist to criticize because she’s very left-leaning, she’s progressive, she’s a woman.”
    Read carefully before disagreeing reflexively.

10. loltard says:

M.I.A > Diplo

any given day

11. Blaine Lake says:

Why are so many of you bashing Diplo?

@Darius How is Diplo a thief in any way? And how can you praise and bash Diplo’s production skills in the same paragraph? I’d like to see you do a ‘sample here’ remix as well as he could… Not that he would though, because he’s much more talented than that.

@roga Please inform me how Diplo sold out. If you’re response is that he did a collaboration with Tiesto, then I’ll just tell you that M.I.A.’s worst album was the one she made with Rusko. Evens out, eh?

Diplo > M.I.A.

Honestly, how can you mock the producer of her most popular tracks?

12. I’m sure his opinion is completely objective and not at all personal. That being said, I think it is important to remember that Maya is a pop star, and the fact that she is even invoking such a serious analysis of her subject matter is in itself funny and means she is doing something right. I’m tired of pop stars not referencing things like privacy and the internet, it’s more relevant than clubbing or, like, you know, Catholicism. It’s also not that deep, which is likely intentional. I don’t know Diplo but based upon recent memes it seems like he has a vested flirtation with controversy so he can presumably keep his name in the press. That is also fantastic and should be applauded. I mean, look at me. I am leaving a comment like it’s 2002.

13. Naomi Zeichner says:

14. Adriana says:

Oh come on! Diplo is a gossip girl

15. nellie says:

Team MIA

16. casey says:

uhh…how did diplo “fall off”…heard of major lazer? he also produced look at me now for chris brown which has been a top 10 song for a while now, and he also did that new one for beyonce.

if anyone fell off its mia. that last album was GARBAGE, and i’ve loved her for years now. im still a fan, but man that was easily the worst album of 2010.

i dont like how articles make it seem like diplo is some giant egotistical douche. i’ve met him and talked to him and he was the nicest, most unpretentious, down-to-earth, laidback dude. hes my fave dj and producer and i hope he just gets more and more success as time goes on.

17. Nana says:

Diplo is the one full of shit. what does he know/ care about Sri Lanka? He seems ENVIOUS of Maya, her career and her relationship with another bloke.