Fam-Lay, “Beach Cruiser” MP3

famlay

The Neptunes are nothing if not loyal. Half a decade after Fam-Lay’s very promising string of singles flopped under their Star Trak imprint, they still regularly put in studio time with the under-appreciated Norfolk rapper. And the galaxy is better off when they do. Laced by their quieter half Chad, “Beach Cruiser” recalls the glory days of Neptunes jaw droppers and mindfuckers. It’s go-go as imagined by space mutants, powered by shifting tectonic plates, dubstep wobbles and little fluttering melodies that happen all at once and yet meld together in a completely logical fashion. Fam sounds considerably more energized than he did in his Star Trak days, but no less unique, threatening bicycle drive-bys while bending his flow to the track’s will, or the track to his flow’s will. Or something. Rhythms and wills are definitely being bended and spaceships are definitely landing and you should really just press play on that Hulkshare.

Download: Fam-Lay, “Beach Cruiser”

POSTED August 3, 2011 4:00PM IN MP3 / STREAMS Comments (10) TAGS: , , ,

COMMENTS

1. Pingback: Neptunes Are Back … with BEACH CRUISER by FAM-LAY | Twin Vulcan

2. imeme says:

this is reaaalllly bad. Makes me wonder how much Chad actually does on them neptunes track. how much did he pay for this highly positive song post?

3. Andrew Noz says:

Is it at all possible that we just disagree? Can we maybe do that without you calling my integrity into question?

4. sick says:

Hugo works wonders with Kenna but this beat and song are kinda garbage at best to me.

5. dunno says:

big up andrew noz! the internet is a stupid place and your posts are dope, dude.

6. Jesse Thorn says:

You people are crazy. This is a jam. Best Fam-Lay track since that one that went “Woo! Woo! Woo! Woo! Here come the AMBULANCE!”

7. GEETAR says:

must be out of your damn mind, fucking simpletons, this beat is dope, his follow is unorthodox but also dope!

8. Derek Lipkin says:

I was definitely checked by Mr. Jesse Thorn on my initial assertion that the beat was biting off Exile’s “We’re All In Power,” but I think the resemblance is undeniable. The kicks are what immediately tipped me off. Check the rap version and see if you agree.

I swear! Fam-Lay’s beat is like Exile’s beat turned its swords into plowshares and the fall harvest festival got underway. A similar vibe, but with an undeniable positivity. Definitely not “biting.”

As you can see, I’m trying to get back into Mr. Thorn’s good graces, even without having ever met him or discussed hip-hop before.

9. R. Friday says:

“It’s go-go as imagined by space mutants, powered by shifting tectonic plates, dubstep wobbles and little fluttering melodies that happen all at once and yet meld together in a completely logical fashion”

Alright, who replaced Noz with Breihan?

Track is dope though.

10. Andrew Noz says:

“Alright, who replaced Noz with Breihan?”

Ha! I was infected by synth gurgles.

I don’t hear anything more than a passing similarity in that Exile track, with Dilla probably being the common point of influence.