Video: Soulja Boy, “Kingpin Beezy”

There have been some grumblings on the net amongst net grumblers about Soulja swagger jacking some of the hipper underground Memphis rap revivalists to emerge this year’s “Kingpin Beezy.” Let it go, grumblers. Soulja might not be the most innovative rapper on the planet, but anytime he (or anybody) wants to unearth a Kingpin Skinny Pimp beat and give it a second life then that is his (or their) god given right. You can’t own a style that you yourself borrowed.

In other news Soulja is planning to release a tape produced entirely by Young L, who is a genius.

POSTED September 26, 2011 11:08AM IN MUSIC VIDEO Comments (14) TAGS: , ,

COMMENTS

1. MarcoPolo says:

IT S THE MAC NAMED PURRP

2. FLIP says:

THANK YOU.

3. CrowleyHead says:

AT THIS POINT, PURRRP/UGLY MANE AND MOST OF THESE NEW JACKS ARE AS UNDEVELOPED AS SOULJEUR. THE PRICE OF TUMBLR FEEDS MEANS NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE CAN FRONT ON YOU TO ENFORCE DEVELOPMENT.

4. DjSqueeky says:

Come on noz , at least a ” Shouts out skinny pimp , or shouts out m-town or shouts out to those who are bringing this back ” would be somethin more eligible for cred . Souljaboy is in the race for identity crisis , and he is in 1st place so he’s gettin’ his shine from his favourite artists from months to months. To me it’s like a young mac miller who does a kool aid and frozen pizza without shouting out a Lord Finesse and suddenly get super famous of that shit .

5. FLIP says:

A. If anything, “Kingpin Beezy” is only going to make Soulja Boy LESS famous.

B. Is that the actual legendary DJ Squeeky in here????

6. Kyle says:

It’s just sad to see such blatant imitation out of a guy like Soulja, who actually has a really good ear for production (hence the Skinny Pimp revival). But let’s be honest, after copying so many movements within the past year, the guy has to show some originality.at some point.

And I’m not just another Soulja hater, I actually enjoy some of his songs (Zan With that Lean, Zan With that Lean Part 2, First Day of School, Pretty Boy Swag mainly)

7. Andrew Noz says:

“The only thing good about this song is the beat, which sounds like a direct SGP ripoff.”

SGP was probably about seven years old when this beat was produced.

8. UNKWN says:

I’m even amazed SGP has any fans. Dude sucks at rapping and blatantly took another region’s sound and tried to come up off of it as his own. I think tumblr. has ruined the rap game for worse. Lil’ Prod and other European rappers/fans of the old Memphis style mimic it better than SGP. And yeah, I’m mad.

/rant

9. Kyle says:

What I meant when I said it was a direct SGP ripoff was the fact that Soulja resurrected an old 90s southern rap beat and put some hazy lo-fi effects on it and then rapped on it. This is SGP’s main aesthetic and Soulja is blatantly jacking it.

You can’t tell me that this: http://youtu.be/iv-1AejlH50
    doesn’t sound like that^^ and SGP put that shit out in 2010.

Again, the only good thing about this song is the beat…just like any other Soulja song.

At least SGP has come out and said that one of his main influences is early 90′s Three Six Mafia… who’s Soulja’s main influence again? D4L? Or every other hot movement that’s come out since 2004?

10. Kyle says:

Also, SGP (1991) and Soulja Boy (1990) were born a year apart, so Soulja was what, 6 or 7 when Kingpin came out? I don’t get your point Noz, enlighten me.

11. UNKWN says:

Kyle, give it up bro. You’re mad that one artist took another one’s style who in the first place took from someone else’s? S Beezy made ‘Crank Dat’, he automatically wins against your invalid argument.

Peace

12. Kyle says:

I’m not mad. And while I can’t argue against your “Crank Dat” point, I do think it’s legitimate bullshit that a dude like Soulja can continue to ride the coattails of movements that have started so far before he gets a hold of them.
    Yes, SGP did take certain elements of 3-6 Mafia’s style but he also threw in many other notable nostalgic elements that aren’t all owed to 3-6 Mafia but rather the 90′s in general. It’s still new and fresh due to his unique twist (the Lex Luger influence is also obvious and more than welcome) which is the main point I’m trying to make here: uniqueness. Which Soulja has little-to-none of.

Peace.

13. yehbuddy! says:

“It’s still new and fresh due to his unique twist”

WTF! where in the hell you from jack? SGP don’t sound like nothing new….. can’t fool southerners wit that bull. We been on that and we just throw him in the stack wit errrrrrrrbody else.

14. Kyle says:

While his sound is nothing new in terms of southern hip-hop, his “unique twist” is the 90s nostalgia (Mortal Kombat samples for example) aesthetic that that he uses so well.