Video: M.I.A. Flips Middle Finger to People Watching the Super Bowl

mia

Among the 9,000 bizarrely compelling things that happened during Madonna’s Super Bowl halftime show (slacklining underpants guy, Cee-Lo’s scene stealing, “WORLD PEACE”), M.I.A. flipped the bird on national television.

Following the incident, both the NFL and NBC issued apologies. The NFL blamed NBC. “There was a failure in NBC’s delay system. The obscene gesture in the performance was completely inappropriate, very disappointing, and we apologize to our fans,” the league said. An NBC spokesperson said their monitoring system tried to blur M.I.A.’s “spontaneous” gesture, but wasn’t quick enough. The network fired back at the NFL in a revised version of their initial press statement, saying, “The NFL hired the talent and produced the halftime show.”

Watch the whole halftime show—also featuring Nicki Minaj and LMFAO—below:

POSTED February 5, 2012 9:15PM IN MUSIC NEWS, MUSIC VIDEO Comments (16) TAGS: , , , ,

COMMENTS

1. lol says:

Lol at this headline. The heights hipsters go to justify one of their idols selling out.

She was not flipping people watching the superbowl off, she was merely being the “rebel” “angsty” artist she is supposed to portray in mainstream media.

Get over it, M.I.A Sold out, big fucking deal. Fuck her and fuck diplo.

2. haha says:

really? this is a story? cmon fader

3. Pingback: MIA’s Finger Outdraws NBC | Citizen Of The World Inc. MIA’s Finger Outdraws NBC | No Borders. Simply Culture.

4. Presh says:

It’s been amazing to see M.I.A.’s career arc…from the very beginnings to the heights of being a back up dancer for a past her prime pop star.

5. waht! says:

The middle finger M.I.A ? Really? At least Janet flashed her tittie, she wins.

6. Frank says:

No no, Mia… Fuck YOU.

7. Pingback: Video: M.I.A. Flips Middle Finger to People Watching the Super Bowl

8. Julian K says:

I find the absurd costume design and backstreet boys choreography of Madonnas show a lot more shocking than any middle-finger ever could be.
    fake harps and silver angels wings on pseudo roman dancing hairdressers – seriously? ouch!

since apparently those ridiculously pompous backdrop shows are still needed by our beloved superstars, can’t at least someone come up with a decent and compelling choreographic and design that doesn’t make you chuckle and/or cringe? does mainstream really HAVE to be that stupid?

For heaven and earth’s sake, Madonna isn’t 18 anymore. a little dignity.. please?

9. Superbowl funds Terrorism

10. fag street says:

fight the power

11. Lucia says:

WHITE TRASH!!!

12. Emma says:

People are always gonna hate on MIA because MIA is always gonna suck.

13. I don’t care what her political, false artsy, sell out, pop dance ideas are. All I know is that video for “Bad Girls” was crazy!

14. Pingback: Web Trends: Super Bowl Music Wrap Up |

15. stevee says:

pfff, lame. and bad girls is a horrible track.

16. Wow, I am completely appauled that flipping the bird is still seen as a horrible, go call your mommy and cry happening in this day and age. We need to appreciate freedom of expression from all humans in the limelight. We place them there and then tell them to keep quiet, what the hell.
    I’m glad she flipped us off, humans can be such horrible creatures.
    Thank you, MIA, for being exactly who you are. Many, many appreciate your artistry.