Every week a different FADER staff member will pick a clothing item or accessory that he or she has lately been spending a lot of time with—or would like to—and write a little love letter to it. We would’ve done a column on who we’re dating but that seemed a little bit much. This week The FADER ladies talk about their WAH Nails Rose Nail Art Manicures.
The ladies of WAH Nails have been creating the nail art designs of our teenage fantasies since they opened doors in 2009. We went ape shit over their Prada Bananas designs and their sports-themed looks are bound to be popular this Olympics. Last week in support of their very first how-to book (sadly only available in the UK for now; expect a US release in July), the WAH Nails Book of Nail Art, WAH's founder Sharmadean Reid rounded up a solid crew of her top nail artists and came across the pond for an NYC takeover, replete with three pop-up shops and two raging parties. We were extremely lucky to get a slot on their tight schedule of appointments. Yet, when faced with a two-page spread of 100 distinct and super sassy nail art designs to choose from, we were taken back and felt like Neo in The Matrix—blue pill or red pill? Either way we couldn't really go wrong, each and every design was hot. Picking from the crop, we finally decided on the Rose manicure. Didn't make it to one of the WAH pop-up shops? Can't book a flight to London to visit one of their salons? Here's how to get your own Rose manicure at home.
What You'll Need:
* white nail polish
* pink nail polish
* lilac nail polish
* red nail polish
* black nail art pen
1. Start with two base coats of white nail polish. Let it dry.
2. Dab pink, lilac, and red circles on the nail from top to bottom. Alternating the order on each nail.
3. Create leaves for your roses by using the corner of the green polish brush to draw tiny triangles.
4. Using the nail art pen, outline the pink, lilac and red circles
5. Paint semi circles on the roses to create a petal effect.
6. Finish with a clear top coat.
Taken from The WAH Nails Book Of Nail Art out on July 10th 2012.