Rick Ross Hasn’t Really Apologized for His Rape Lyrics

rickross

Rick Ross has addressed criticism of his guest verse on “U.O.E.N.O,” a Rocko track released last month that also features Future, in which Ross delivers the line: Put molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it/ I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain’t even know it. Ross defended the verse in a statement issued to Hot 97′s Funkmaster Flex and an an interview with New Orleans radio station Q93. The statement:

I know I’m a man, but I respect Women to the utmost, And Things like Date Rape shouldn’t be glorified…with that being said, I don’t think taking Rap lyrics as straight facts is ever the way to go. I mean that is really setting a president we do NOT want to set, then every rapper could be indicted for Drug dealing, Murder, etc, etc. Hip Hop is Art, and we have to look at it as art. Yes We want to see these artists as the realest people ever, but they are the Voice we want to hear when we want to know what’s going on out there, and in reality some people Do these things, And Shouldn’t it be brought to light so young Women can protect themselves?!?! This Is actually really good the conversation is going…Ross has actually helped to protect Our Women from the Creeps that would hurt them!!!!

In his conversation with Q93, Ross called the negative response to “U.O.E.N.O” a “misunderstanding.”

I wanna make sure this is clear—that woman is the most precious gift known to man. There was a misunderstanding with a lyric, a misinterpretation where the term rape wasn’t used. You know I would never use the term rape in my records. As far as my camp, hip-hop don’t condone that, the streets don’t condone that. I just wanted to reach out to all the queens that’s on my timeline, all the sexy ladies, all the beautiful ladies that had been reaching out to me with the misunderstanding. We don’t condone rape and I’m not with that.

While Ross’ intended message, that he doesn’t condone rape, is stated clearly, this isn’t an apology befitting the offending act. One Rap-Up commenter says it well: “So either he is saying it’s not rape unless you call it rape or he doesn’t fully understand what rape is. Either way that was a wack ass apology. Misunderstanding? How is drugging someone and having sex with them without their knowledge not rape? It’s so sad how some men don’t fully understand (or acknowledge) what rape is.”

It’s also disappointing that, after offering up such a feeble explanation, the Q93 DJ asks Ross, “Do you think the public is too judgmental about lyrics?” The DJ mentions Lil Wayne, whose guest verse on Future’s “Karate Chop,” featuring the line Beat that pussy up like Emmett Till , was retracted by Future’s label Epic on the same day “U.O.E.N.O” was originally released.

POSTED March 28, 2013 6:26PM IN MP3 / STREAMS Comments (11) TAGS: ,

COMMENTS

1. I wrote about this exact topic on my blog; check out my take on how Rick Ross is attempting to pull the proverbial wool over hip hops eyes at: http://tommytommitomme.tumblr.com/post/46557825749/rickrossrapeylyrics

2. Pingback: Black Girls/Black Women Are From the Future: Something Men Like Rick Ross Need to Know | Aker: Futuristically Ancient

3. I dont understand how Ross could even try to defend that line and say its art? Dude, the swastika is art but we dont all go tatooing it on our foreheads and shit.

4. @The Big Bully Organization says:

Actually one of his artists has a swastika tattoo in the back of his neck…

5. Tat Wza says:

Actually it was issued to InFlexWeTrust.com….But “You Ain’t Even Know It” 0_0

6. why always says:

What I want to know (no pun intended) is why this Rick Ross lyric, delivered offhandedly, is getting the attention it is? is it because the song is otherwise incredible? how is it any different from any Lil Wayne molly related lyric from the past decade? Or any line from, say, I need a hot girl? or any cash money song from the late 90s/early 00s? or any fifty song that’s degrading to women? why is it this song that’s causing outrage? Why not an equally morally void Juicy J lyric? Or Two Chainz lyric? Or Chris Brown? Or Drake? or NWA from the early 90s?

Again, I’m not saying he’s not an asshole for talking about slipping girls molly. I’m just wondering why this was the so called tipping point stirring up all this net outrage when it’s not a problem singular to the guy whose main claim to fame was at one point rhyming Atlantic with Atlantic. He’s just an ugly reflection of of hip hop/black/urban/american/world culture at large.

7. Bob Loblaw says:

I am disgusted by everyone’s automatic assumption that this line is about rape. Everyone knows molly can lead to some intimate and heartfelt conversations, perhaps that was what he’s enjoying, and his gruff persona didn’t allow him to express it to her at the time.

8. Zachg says:

What’s funny is that Ross whose whole empire is built on people believing his lyrics, is claming that we shouldn’t take them seriously. He’s also talkin about setting a #president. Dude is on his way out, and this is what it looks like.

@bigBullyOrg That’s Gunplay with the swastika tattoo. He;s also likened himself to hitler. There is no good explanation there either. i interviewed him, and asked him about it and he didn’t have much to say.

9. leah martin says:

Rick Ross is a fake anyway . His life is nothing but a lie .The lyrics are stating he took of advantage of someone without their consent . Come on are you serious Bob ? Maybe i should get him robbed and he did not even know or set him up with the police “and he did not even know “. Rick Ross is embarassing to the African American community. He looks nasty with his pants sagging showing his fat ass ” and he did not even know”

10. Pingback: Music on the Move Discos - Blog Post - Music on the Move Discos