Read Drake’s Genius Response to Macklemore’s Kendrick Grammy Text

Drake gets chatty

In a forthcoming interview with Rolling Stone, Drake weighs in on Macklemore’s Grammy win and his bizarrely-made-public text to Kendrick Lamar. I don’t know what the award for best interview answer is, but Drake surely deserves it for this:

That shit was wack as fuck… I was like, ‘You won. Why are you posting your text message? Just chill. Take your W, and if you feel you didn’t deserve it, go get better — make better music. It felt cheap. It didn’t feel genuine. Why do that? Why feel guilt? You think those guys would pay homage to you if they won?

This is how the world works: He made a brand of music that appealed to more people than me, Hov, Kanye and Kendrick. Whether people wanna say it’s racial, or whether it’s just the fact that he tapped into something we can’t tap into. That’s just how the cards fall. Own your shit.

To name just Kendrick? That shit made me feel funny. No, in that case, you robbed everybody. We all need text messages!

POSTED February 12, 2014 3:00PM IN MUSIC NEWS Comments (17) TAGS: , , , ,

COMMENTS

1. Mac Douglas says:

Hum this whole episode is suspect! Somebody call the cops please ?

2. Doc Jam says:

Kendrick is the ONLY one to release what many consider a CLASSIC album. That’s why he only named Kendrick.

3. Bob says:

This is not “genius.” This was Macklemore’s way of telling Kendrick that he thought he had the best album of the year. If Mack thought that Drakes record was better than his or the rest, they probably would have got texts, too. But, this was simply Mack’s way of saying that he is a huge fan of Lamar.

4. Kaptin says:

Not sure if genius is the right word, sounds more like sour grapes from Drake. Props to Macklemore, I agree with him. Kendrick should have won and if Kendrick’s his mate then it’s not cheap to show respects like that. I like Drake but he needs to accept that he’s not in Kendrick’s league as far as rapping is concerned and keep his ego under control a little more.

5. Pingback: Tell ‘Em Why You Mad, Drake: Links You Need to See – Flavorwire

6. Mario Martz says:

No drake no text for you, Kendrick was the only one who really deserved that awards.

7. Ev says:

No, Drake’s being ridiculous. Just because Kendrick Lamar wouldn’t pay homage to Macklemore, doesn’t mean Macklemore shouldn’t have done what he did. Just because someone WOULDN’T do the same for you, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. He did what he wanted to do, he did what felt right. So shut the fuck up.
    So tired of this guy.

8. Ibby says:

When did Drake become some kind of well-spoken hero of the internet?

9. koko says:

Drake makes a good point about genuineness, If Macklemore was really genuine he would’ve kept that text in his inbox rather than outwardly showing everyone how respectable he was for reaching out to Kendrick. All a game and a show.

10. Irene says:

we think it, drake says it.

11. Excellent says:

Drake spoke the truth, most of yall just hate the fact that he is the one that said it. Trill nigga

12. I'm not a rapper says:

Mak said before the Grammy that Kendrick should win. He didn’t say “my competition is better” he said Kendrick specificity. I think that alone shows how strongly he felt about it. He knew there was gonna be hate and I think posting the text was a way of saying “I’m a rap fan just like you guys and I agree, Kendrick got robbed” I think Drake is just a little bitter he’s ain’t part of the conversation. Good Kid was the only album clearly better than all the rest.

13. Mzamo B.m says:

Ya’ll jst hate the guy(Drake), so shut the fuck up

14. LITTLERITUAL says:

#whiteguilt

15. frankie b says:

drake said what i wanted k dot to say. like wtf mack you dont apologize for winning unless you know yourself you dont deserve it. And even to post the text was so cheap and made it feel so not genuine

16. thuglifecrunk187 says:

anyone who uses ‘genius’ in the same paragraph as ‘drake’ is a fucking moron first off, and a lil bitch 2nd. great ‘article’ fadeski

17. Kendrick lamar he is the best mc to all mcs, lil wayne is wake