One person is dead and another 12 injured after an explosion outside a music festival in Ansbach, Germany. The Guardian reports that German authorities have pointed to the July 24 incident being a suicide attack and that the recorded fatality was that of the bomber. More than 2,000 people had been in the crowd at the Ansbach Open festival.
The Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said the unnamed attacker had attempted to gain entry to the festival but was denied due to not having a ticket. He was carrying a backpack containing metal items used in “wood manufacturing” and could have killed many more people, Herrmann added. Authorities said the 27-year-old attacker had been denied asylum a year ago and had a history of making attempts on his own life.