If you need a quick run-down of his credentials in order to get familiar with Grammy-nominated producer Emile Haynie, it would almost be quicker to tell you who he hasn't worked with. Having come up making beats for the likes of Proof, Ghostface Killah, Eminem and Ice Cube in the early 00s, Haynie went on to produce one of the biggest hip-hop singles of the 2010s in the form of Kanye West's "Runaway." He also produced Lil Wayne's "Novacane" and Drake and Sampha's "Too Much," and most recently he's worked prolifically with both Lana Del Rey and FKA Twigs on creating their uniquely skewered pop sounds.
Today, Haynie has announced that he's making steps into the limelight himself with the release of his debut album We Fall on Interscope, February 23. The record was made over a period of six months in LA's Chateau Marmont, and is set to feature a huge list of collaborators including Lana, Brian Wilson, Rufus Wainwright, Lykke Li, Dev Hynes, Sampha, and Romy Madley-Croft of The xx.
Following on from the album's previously shared single "A Kiss Goodbye," featuring Sampha, Dev Hynes and Charlotte Gainsbourg, today Haynie has released his collaboration with Lana Del Rey, "Wait For Life." With the singer swilling the refrain I'm lonely over mournful piano chords, it's about as Del Rey (read: full of bitterness and heartache) as they come. Stream it here, and see below for the mind-boggling We Fall tracklist in full.
We Fall tracklist:
1. "Falling Apart" feat. Andrew Wyatt and Bryan Wilson
2. "Little Ballerina" feat. Rufus Wainwright
3. "Wait for Life" feat. Lana Del Rey
4. "Dirty World"
5. "A Kiss Goodbye" feat. Charlotte Gainsbourg, Sampha, and Devonté Hynes
6. "Fool Me Too" feat. Nate Ruess
7. "Nobody Believes You" feat. Andrew Wyatt and Colin Blunstone
8. "Come Find Me" feat. Lykke Li and Romy Madley Croft
9. "Who to Blame" feat. Randy Newman
10. "Ballerina's Reprise" feat. Father John Misty and Julia Holter
11. "The Other Side"