Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will face off in the first of three scheduled presidential debates in New York on Monday night. But the Republican nominee spent the last week campaigning in North Carolina, amidst ongoing protests over the recent police-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott. As WFMY, a local CBS affiliate, reports, a civil rights museum in Greensboro, North Carolina denied a recent visitation request from the Trump campaign.
Earl Jones, co-founder of The International Civil Rights Center and Museum, told WFMY that the campaign contacted the museum about a visit on September 20. According to Jones, the Trump campaign requested special accommodations for the visit, including a demand that museum be closed for at least five hours.
"We did not honor the request of the Donald Trump team because we thought they demonstrated, in their approach was disrespectful, so therefore we did not grant that request," Jones told WFMY. "The approach, the type of disrespect, pretty much a demand and bullying us to use the museum in their manner and their way in their time, it was inappropriate and I think it's probably reflective of the type of insensitivity of civil rights and human rights that's reflective from Trump over the years."
Jones also clarified that, as a museum policy, The International Civil Rights Center and Museum does not provide special accommodations for any high-profile visitors.
A representative for the Donald Trump campaign was not immediately available for comment.