That New MIA Track is Actually a Protest Song Called “Space Odyssey”

In between pwning the internets by posting that MIA track yesterday (above) like one second after she Twitted it, we were on our investigative grind. We emailed MIA’s publicist, who got us the scoop: It’s a protest song against the New York Times, which printed a questionable bit on how Sri Lanka is now the best place to travel in 2010. Peep MIA’s Twitter for the full back story. “Space Odyssey” should be on her forthcoming album, which is set to drop this summer (potentially June). Get pumped.

According to MIA’s publicist:

It is called ‘Space Odyssey” produced by Rusko and M.I.A. The song and video were made Monday night for $100, after the New York Times, as she says: “fucked up so hard.”
Check her tweets – she obviously finds it reckless and ignorant of the paper to not even scratch their own walls on what is reality in Sri Lanka.

POSTED January 13, 2010 6:42PM IN MUSIC VIDEO Comments (17) TAGS: , ,

COMMENTS

1. Thomas says:

Great work/journalism/music.

2. Jagson says:

How is this a “protest song”? Maybe I can’t understand what she’s saying but the lyrics don’t seem to mention anything about the NYT or Sri Lanka.

3. david says:

thats why it says check the twitter for a full back story.

4. in response to Jagson’s comment:

good lyrics are often indirect and metaphorical

5. HumanFrailty says:

Good lyrics have to make sense.. There is nothing even indirectly relating to Sri Lanka or New York Times in the song. She’s full of shit. Her reality is around 1988 the last time she was in Sri Lanka.

6. agent david says:

thanks for being the only blog on the entire internet that either cared enough to or had the resources to find out the official info. i can’t believe people thought it was ‘down like your internet connection’ just cos her lines are down. lol

7. Pingback: MULTITUNES :: proletarian, funkadelicparliamentarian, pro revolt-in-the-21st-centurian :: Yes, Fuck New York Times. :: January :: 2010

8. Pingback: M.I.A. 2010 - Trabalho Sujo - OESQUEMA

9. Woopi says:

Maybe the lyrics are talking about how the NYT’s travel section is run by a bunch of spaced out airheads?

10. Jagson says:

Look. I just want someone to post up what she’s saying cuz I can’t understand her accent at times. I’m just interested because this video is generating a lot of attention and I want to get the message myself. Not from people telling me how she’s pissed at the NYT.

11. santhi says:

great song!!

12. Hello says:

well, here’s the lyrics i got out of it. a lot of it is probably incorrect, but i did my best for 6 min. the *blank* are the words i coldn’t quite make out. I feel terrible for this, but I don’t want it to be for nothing.
    so here it is:

gravity is my enemy
    it grabs on me like *blank*
    the stars are *blank* close to me
    as i’m floatin in my life odyssey
    my lines are down and you can’t call me
    as i float around in space odyssey
    my lines are down and you can’t call me
    as i float around in space odyssey
    like *blank* on pc
    it’s got color were it’s followin me
    and i still judge you *blank*
    and i’m headed toxic you can never lose me “no clue on this line”
    my lines are down and you can’t call me
    as i float around in space odyssey
    my lines are down and you can’t call me
    as i float around in space odyssey
    ah ah ah ah ah, etc.
    you might take a minute or two
    to introduce my point of view
    i need to spend some time with you
    there is nothing more new one can do
    my lines are down and you can’t call me
    as i float around in space odyssey
    my lines are down and you can’t call me
    as i float around in space odyssey

I think the the beginning end I got pretty accurate, except the blanks, but the middle i’m not to sure
    post if you have any corrections, or any idea what the missing words are.

13. i love reading this article. Very good attribute to all info ive read.. //J

14. techdude says:

actually it is a song inpired by a three hour call to verizon tech support and the real title is i am down like your internet connection it she didnt mentiond or sang about sri lanka or nyt duh!

who is that idiot publicist?

15. techdude says:

After taking on the New York Times in a profanity-laced series of tweets earlier this week, M.I.A. has changed gears. This time, she’s taking to Twitter again to deliver a mellower, brand new song. While there is no confirmation that the track, titled ‘Theres Space for Ol Dat I See,’ is off her ‘Kala’ follow-up, which she’s been hard at work on with Diplo and Blaqstarr since giving birth to Ickitt last February, two confirmed tracks that do make the cut are ‘I Fight the Ones That Fight Me’ and ‘I’m Down Like Your Internet Connection.’

“I was having issues with my cable and wireless,” M.I.A. told Rolling Stone about ‘Internet Connection’ recently. ” I was on the phone [with tech support] for three hours, and I thought, ‘Maybe this needs to be part of my music, could you just learn these lyrics and sing it down the phone to me?’ Ten phone calls later, I have Internet that sticks and a song.” The track is said to feature Filipino Verizon workers on the hook.

Hooks on ‘Theres Space for Ol Dat I See’ are more on the super-dreamy and liquid-like side. Production is a notch or two down from the amp and energy of a M.I.A.’s usual party anthem, adding emphasis on her vocal dexterity. “I just stopped singing on the last one because I put more emphasis into production,” she said, “so I was more about making beats and sang less on my last album.”

M.I.A.’s new album is projected for a summer release. Check out the video for ‘Theres Space for Ol Dat I See’ below.

16. Nomi says:

Credits song for Entourage Season 07 episode 02 when Vinnie jumped out of a plane!

17. Pingback: M.I.A. protest song « Styluxe