8 Songs You Need In Your Life This Week
Tracks we love right now. In no particular order.
1. Beyoncé's "Formation," and its gorgeous music video, have stirred up more praise and smart, interesting dialogues than any song/clip combo in recent memory. And for good reason too; it's one of the best things she's ever made.
2. We didn't even know Sheer Mag had a SoundCloud page until we landed on "Can't Stop Fighting," the (strangely Coachella-bound) rock band's latest sludgy anthem. This one's about Paloma Angelica Escobar Ledezma, a real-life Mexican teenager who was tragically abducted and murdered in 2002.
3. Gyptian's Lady Leshurr-featuring "All On Me (Diztortion Remix)" isn't brand new, but the party-centric video is. The visual compliments the song's feel-good spirit, and we really want to cop Leshurr's Jamaican-colored crotched onesie.
4. Pinegrove's "Cadmium" debuted on this site a couple weeks back, but their excellent new full-length is out this Friday. This feels like a good time to revisit that record's sad, slow-growing second track.
5. Happy Colors is a Dominican Republic-born, Miami-based producer and DJ. His take on "Internacional" by Dominican rapper Lapiz Conciente is a total bop—all squeaky, sweat-inducing synths and jagged rhythms.
6. "Power," like the best Eskimeaux songs, is melodically very lovely and thematically very bleak. Wish I could love you less like a praying mantis, Gabrielle Smith sings over mid-tempo drums. Rip your head off every time this starts to feel right.
7. The "Work" video is probably going to be a sight to behold. While you wait for its carefully-planned surprise drop, lose yourself in this wonky, double-speed garage edit by London collective Funkystepz.
8. Cryptic Berlin duo Amnesia Scanner have made waves with just a few releases and a world-swallowing live set. Freaky earworm "As Crust" first turned up, fragmented, on last year's "As Angels Rig Hook." The full song is honestly bonkers: a dystopian club track for every one of our weekend dance parties in the foreseeable future.