Paris venue the Bataclan reopened its doors on Saturday, November 12, one year on from a series of terror attacks in the French city which saw 130 people killed. Terrorists targeted the live music space in 2015 as part of a number of coordinated attack, killing 89 people at an Eagles of Death Metal show.
Jesse Hughes of the U.S. band was in Paris for the reopening of the venue but was reportedly refused entry by the manager. In the wake of the attack last year Hughes suggested that security staff were not prepared for what happened and that some may have had prior knowledge of what was planned. Bataclan manager Jules Frutos told press that he had refused to allow Hughes in on Saturday night. "They are not welcome after what he said about the security," he told the Press Association. "I mean, this man is just sick. That's all."
Speaking to Billboard, Hughes's manager confirmed his client was in Paris to pay tribute but denied that he had tried to get into the venue. Marc Pollack, of The MGMT Company, said that Hughes "never even tried entering the club."
Eagles of Death Metal had expressed interest in being the first artist to perform at the Paris venue after it reopened. However, that honor went to Sting who played a sold out show and honored the dead. Upcoming events at the venue include shows from Pete Doherty, Youssou Ndour, and Marianne Faithfull.