11 songs you need in your life this week
Tracks we love right now. In no particular order.
1. Self-reflective Atlanta rapper Gunna sounds extra melancholy over the wispy beat on “Don’t Give Up,” but his encouraging lyrics lift the mood.
2. Show Me The Body say their zippy latest single, “Talk,” is about "remaining free within the plague of masculinity and capitalism." That sounds impossible, but we'll rage just the same.
3. On Bedouine's gorgeous, just-released B-side “Louise,” the L.A. songwriter sings her characteristic folk in wistful Armenian.
4. In the video for their hazy new one, “Have Fun,” Smerz look apathetic as hell at a prom pre-party. It's a visual ode to the Norwegian duo's too-cool-for-school club sound.
5. Cali synth-rock group The Neighbourhood turn anxiety about an intense relationship into a swirling tune called “Scary Love.”
6. Deem Spencer is a young king of lo-fi rap. “Birds Bees” is a slow-moving new one with cloudy production from sixpress and Soundcloud comments like, "shit makes me wanna cry."
7. Harrdy Sandhu's "Naah," featuring Nora Fatehi already has more than 25 million views on YouTube. That's probably because the Punjabi pop singer's vibrant dance hit is insanely catchy.
8. The sunny-voiced Maleek Berry dropped a sexy single called “Pon My Mind,” the kind of song that might actually make you believe in love. At least for three-and-a-half minutes.
9. Yves, a member of K-Pop girl group LOOΠΔ, has a solo turn with “new,” a soaring, EDM-ish pop song that's tailor-made for taking over the dance floor with your pals.
10. Whatever's happening in Omaha right now sounds insane. Local hardcore group Bib just put out a killer EP, and “Hypnotized” is our favorite of the four searing tracks.
11. At Lil Peep's memorial service, Good Charlotte covered the rapper's huge-sounding “Awful Things.” It was a powerful moment that we hope Peep would have loved.